Friday, February 4, 2011

Talkin' 'Bout My Generation

I'd first like to start off by saying that I had never really thought of my generation before and how we look to other generations of people. When I really think about it, I could see people calling us "The Laziest Generation", "The Fattest Generation", or even "The Most Egotistical" generation. I hope we all can agree that, statistically, our generation fits all of these categories. We shop online, have food delivered, and even now have Netflix so we can watch whatever movie we want without leaving our couch. Nowadays we can buy a shirt, get chinese food, and watch "Saving Private Ryan", all without ever putting on pants. I think this proves that our generation is a pretty lazy one. Statistically, more people are overweight now than have ever been before. Finally, we have our cell phones hooked up to our laptops, which are always signed into our Facebooks, just in case John wants to poke you or send you a bumper sticker telling you how many bumper stickers he looked through to find the best one for you, because that just can't wait until you get home from work.

So while I do believe that our generation does have its downfalls, I do not think that "dumbest" belongs on that list. One reason that Mark Bauerlein, I'm going to call him Mark from here on out for sake of typing Bauerlein one more time, states that we are the dumbest generation is because, and I'm paraphrasing from the movie, "Digital culture doesn't open teenagers up to the rest of the world, it opens them up to other teenagers." I am going to have to disagree with this statement, to a point. Yes, it allows us to communicate with other people our age, but it also allows us to communicate with other people from across the county. It also includes more information than would ever be found in a book, including Mark's book. If I want to find a quote saying why people under 30 are dumb, I don't have to by Mark's book; I'll Google it. That doesn't make it "dumb". I believe it makes me "efficient". Also, digital culture, such as the internet, opens teenagers up to anything they want to know. The Smithsonian, many history websites, everything is at our fingertips. Now, Mark said that teenagers don't go to the more educational websites. I'd like to see some data on this point. I want to know how he knows for a fact that teenagers do not use those websites. I know that I have used some of these site to check on things that sparked my interest. How's that for dumb?

My next point comes from the group discussion that we had in class. On my drive home from class, I was thinking about the point that was brought up that our generation should know classical music. I was thinking about this, and what came to my mind is this: What makes classical music more important than any other type of music? Just because Mozart or Chopin directed a certain piece of music doesn't mean that it is more important or more noteworthy than any type of music. I know the music I like isn't the best either, but I also won't expect anyone 100 years from now to be able to recognize "Lollipop" by Lil Wayne. Music is not that important. Just because I don't know a song does not make me "dumb".

5 comments:

  1. It is sad to say but the names that people call our generation are for the most part are true. It is cool that we can get access to things with just the click of a mouse but at the same time I also think it is pretty scary. It basically allows us to be able to sit in a room all day without moving which can be very dangerous. There is so much more texting and online chatting going on that we don't talk to one another like we used to. I remember always calling and talking to my friends on the phone for one or two hours at a time when I was little and now today I know a lot of us contact eachother with texts and through facebook much of the time. I think this is kind of a sad fact now that I think of it. It seems like the more technology advances the less face to face social interaction we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin-- you make some really great points. I thought the examples you used were really humorous, but very true at the same time. The word "laziest" should replace the word "dumbest" in the phrase "dumbest generation". You're right... we are extremely lazy, but sadly enough, know it and we don't care or do anything about it. I don't think us being lazy is all our fault. Technology and other advances has allowed us, as well as other generations to do more things without leaving our houses. Digital culture has allowed all generations easier access to information and communication. It is much easier to look something up real quick online than to actually go to a library and find a book where you could possibly find the exact information you are looking for. With the internet, you can specify exactly what you are looking for. You make a really good point with the classical music example. I did learn about this composers in middle school, but I don't actually remember one thing about them. Will the generations to come learn about the music we currently listen to today? What makes these composers more important than other music? Because they have a historical background?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! You make some funny, but true points! I agree that we are a very lazy generation, but I don't think "dumb" fits us. Instead of going out of our way to go to the library to get a book, that we need one fact from, we can simply just look it up. I think its bad that people would ask our generation who wrote a song by Mozart and expect us to know it. When did we ever need to learn about him? Even in school? People in older generations wouldn't even know what he wrote. They can't ask questions that most people don't know and then call us "dumb". It's not fair. We are smart in many other ways. About being lazy, I agree with that and I think we should change in that sense. It probably doesn't make anyone in our generation happy to know that we are known also as a "fat" generation. We may have unhealthy lifestyles that we need to do something about, but in the brain department, I think we are doing just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completly agree with you Justin. It's a complete shame how lazy we are getting. I mean i'm even lazy when it comes to certain things. I'm sure us being lazy is directly related to us being fat. I mean I am really active with sports and going outside, but if i didn't do those things I would most likely be overweight because in the rest of my spare time I usually relax by watching movies and eating out. Hopefully interactive games like Wii become more popular that way our generation can excercise a little bit while playing games ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To me it's is the most pathetic excuse the generation above us could make. They are the dumbest generation because they know how to use computers and i pods and i pad's better than us. Give it a rest. Our generation is smart enough to develop those iPod's and i pad's. Yeah, now what? Therefore, I will state again that we are LAZY, not dumb. I hate the fact that we are called dumb. We can prove them all wrong. As a matter a fact we are right now by developing all these new ideas!

    ReplyDelete