Monday, January 31, 2011

What in the world... of warcraft

The video Second Skin was really eye opening to me and quite shocking. I play a lot of video games, but I wouldn't call myself addicted to any of them. I never really thought people could get addicted to video games until I told one of my friends about the movie. He told me that he was addicted to World of Warcraft for about three or four months. He said he would come home from school and play straight through until about midnight. He finally stopped playing because his girlfriend didn't want him to anymore. I found this interesting because he seems to me like a "normal kid". It may be wrong, but when I think of people that are addicted to video games, I think of people that don't play sports or do many social things except for the game. My friend played soccer in high school and is involved in other things. This just showed me that stereotypes aren't always right.

The part that really shocked me was when the man in the movie that was having twins ran an electric cord from the bathroom when that was the only electric working up to his computer just so he could play WOW. If that isn't a sure sign of addiction, I don't know what is. The part that really got me was that he didn't seem to see any problem with it. I would hope he would find his twins more important than a video game.

I really enjoyed the readings in Culture Jam. It's really opening my eyes up to how messed up our generation is. The chapter Your Corporate Connection really shocked me. I didn't realize how the technology we are surrounded by today effects people's lives. If it wasn't for magazines and the internet, Matt and Sarah (from the book) would probably still be together. The sad part is, most people probably really couldn't even imagine life without magazines and the internet. Where would we get information? How would we communicate with each other? The answer, to me, is the way our parents, grandparents, and everyone else before about 1975 did. They listened to the radio. They traveled to actually meet with their friends and family. Although some people would say it was more difficult, I think a life without, as Kalle Lasn calls it, background noise, would be a much more enjoyable one.

5 comments:

  1. That is crazy to think a friend of yours who you have known used to be addicted to video games and you had no idea! It just makes me think that I may have friends or people I know that are addicted to gaming but show no real signs of addiction. Maybe it could be because we don't pay attention to real problems that people may show signs of, because we are too busy doing something of trivial importance. It just goes show you what our society views is important.
    The same chapter in the Lasn text also sparked my interest! It is true that we are so obsessed with body image, which is actually learned throughout the media. You see a picture of a pretty girl in a magazine and you aspire to be as pretty, as skinny as she is. You might even starve yourself for a few days, buy more makeup, etc. Finally you will look in the mirror and still not be happy with yourself. Our society is never content with oneself. Matt had this image that he could get someone better looking, like the girl in the magazine and forgets about what truly matters--personality and everything attached internally. I agree with you that Matt and Sarah probably still would be together if it weren't for the media. If the newest forms of media didn't exist (such as Internet, magazines, etc.), we would have a much more simplistic society. I, too would agree that it would be much more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you in many parts of your blog. I knew a couple people that were all about sports and in their "second life" they played games 24/7. At the time the game was Halo 2 and every time i asked my friend to do something he would say he couldn't he was busy playing the game. Now this kid was one of the most active kids I knew and he had a gaming addiction. I couldn't believe this.
    The whole playing in the bathroom thing just irritates me to the point where I can't even talk about how crazy that is.
    I play a good amount of games but never have I let myself get that deep into it. I wouldn't have a life and I definitely wouldn't have any friends if I did what these people did. I just think that the word "reality" comes into place again when we think about this video. This is what our world is coming to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very interesting that you have a friend who can relate to the documentary we were required to watch. I thought that the part where the father of the twins ran an electric cord from the bathroom room was wild too. I hope that he sees his family as more important than the game as well. Even towards the end of the documentary after the twins were born he still seemed to view the online game as more important. His wife never failed to show that she seemed fed up with his addiction when she was being interviewed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe your friend became addicted to the video game, but at the same time I can! He is one of many. It's good that his life is back on track and the addiction isn't there anymore. The movie and the clips were so eye-opening to how our culture is headed in the wrong direction. It's depressing how far the father of the twins went to plug his computer in during an electric failure to play the game. His wife and tiwns should be way more important than a video game, but it didn't seem that way. I don't think, at this point, our world could survive without the things we have such as computers, cell phones, etc. If things didn't change as much as they did since back then, Americans wouldn't be so addicted to the idea of consumption, that could be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the power cords running to the guy's computer from the bathroom. I mean if thats not addicted I would hate to see what is. Well I guess pissing in soda bottles so you don't have to get up is probably worse than that, but they are both pretty f*#$ed up.

    ReplyDelete