Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Introduction

My name is Justin Sell and I am a junior Elementary Education major here at Ship. In my spare time here I like to play video games, watch tv, listen to music, and hang out with my friends. I play mostly sports games on my ps3 such as Madden and MLB 2k11, but I just started playing Call of Duty this year when Black Ops came out. I like to watch comedy movies. My favorites are Anchorman and Get Him to the Greek. I listen to a lot of different kinds of music, but rap and hip-hop are my favorites. Two summers ago I saw Lil Wayne with my girlfriend and it was awesome. We were four rows from the stage! I took interest in this class for two connected reasons. I am a reading minor, and also I eventually want to switch to teaching high school English. I enjoy reading and writing, and I think showing teens the joys of reading would be a valuable thing to do. I like to read comedy books, mainly biographies and other books written by comedians, but I also read novels. The last book I read was Russell Brand's biography called My Booky Wook. I am currently reading his second book. I would define literature as anything written for a purpose of being read by others in a professional manner that has style and form. This includes books and magazines, but excludes things like blogs and facebook posts.

7 comments:

  1. So I saw that you have a ps3 and play basically the games I do.. Nice coinsedance! My name on ps3 is cmrduke22.. I play tons of Call of Duty which sometimes really isn't such a great idea, as you probably know. I also love Lil Wayne and I'm dieing to see him in concert. How was it? I would like at sometime in my life to see Eminem as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elementary Ed huh? I'm secondary ed...I don't know if I could handle Elementary kids! Like Chris and you, I play Call of Duty too. After some of the material in this class about media and such, I feel like a real bumm when I play watch tv and play video games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats awesome that you're an elementary eduacation major! Thatd be my second choice. It's great that you want to show teens the joys of reading also! I think more teens need to read, even though many aren't into it. Get Him to the Greek was a good movie! Comedies are the best! Well, I'm looking forward to getting to know you more! See you in class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come over to the dark side...high school English...:) I love the picture of you and your girlfriend, very nice! Welcome to class. Perhaps I can entice you into the world of secondary education by the time we're done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That would be fun to teach in an elementary school! I have no patience for little kids! I also enjoy Lil Wayne-- you're so lucky to have gone to one of his concerts and especially be that close to the stage. I also enjoy comedies. I unfortunately do not enjoy reading but I have read I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell. Have you read it? It's really pretty funny-- although the basis of the book is pretty perverse. Can't wait to get to know you this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's cool that you want to teach kids. They're always fun to be around. One of my good friends is a huge fan of Lil Wayne also! I didn't know Russell Brand had books out. What's it about? I remember seeing him on Kathie Lee & Hoda awhile back, I guess he was there to promote his book then. I guess I didn't watch it long enough to find out.

    ReplyDelete