Friday, April 15, 2011

Bringing It All Together

I want to start off by saying that I really enjoyed the things we've read and covered in this class. I almost dropped it when I found out we were going to be studying new age literature, and topics such as gaming. I thought it sounded weird, and I thought I wanted to read the classics. I also did not look forward to writing these blogs. I had thought only losers wrote blogs. I now see that they can be a useful way to share opinions. If I ever become a high school English teacher, like I want to be, I will use them in my class. I am very pleased that I stayed in this section. I read some things that I would have never read on my own; my eyes were opened to things I never would have realized.

One thing that this class made me do was look at reality television in a whole different light. I always thought it was just something put out there for me to enjoy, with no consequences for me or the stars of the shows. I now realize that watching these shows can hurt the stars, or actors. I never thought that the Jersey Shore cast could be different if they weren't thrown into stardom by a television program.

My favorite part of the class was reading The Hunger Games. I never would have picked up this novel on my own time, but I am very happy that I read it. Quite honestly, it is one of the best books I have ever read. Not only was it a good read, but it linked well to reality television. It made me think about how like our reality television shows this "game" was. Could a game like the one in the novel happen in real life? I think, maybe, it could. I think our culture would quickly wrapped up in the excitement that the game brings.

Another thing this class made me do is look at literature differently. Previously, I had read books for two reasons: because they were recommendations for class, and for pleasure. I had never read a book for pleasure and considered linking it to something else that I had read or seen on television. Now when I read, I consider other things that I have experience with that relate to what I am reading.

The last thing that I want to talk about is the class discussion we had on censorship and freedoms. I had never really thought about how giving up privacy at the airport took away some of our freedoms. I know see that this is so.

I really enjoyed this class. I now see the importance of books, and how drastic it would be if we lost them. I enjoyed this class, and blogging about what we read and learned. It's been fun!

5 comments:

  1. I also was not looking forward to this class... this quickly changed! My favorite reading for the class would definitely be Hunger Games as well. I have really thought about the "fight till death" concept until this class. And after making the connections in class, I saw that there are many connections in our society that have the same concept. So that really intrigued me. I never read for enjoyment, but I think I am going to read the rest of the Hunger Game series because I really enjoyed the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have never picked up The Hunger Games on my own either. I am glad that we were assigned this book because it too became one of my favorite books that I have read so far. Like you said this class has changed the way I look at literature too. It has shown to be much more versatile than I had imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hunger Games completely blew me away. I agree with you that it was such a good book. I too would have never picked this book up to read on my own. I will look at books completely differently now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed the topics we discussed in class as well, they were really eye opening! I enjoyed the Hunger Games as well and I agree with you, it links very well to reality TV. It's disturbing, knowing that we like to be entertained by the cost of others. My view on literature is different now, it's actually not as bad as I thought. It was a pretty enjoyable class and talking about the different topics in groups was neat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on the fact that I didn't want to take this class and I really didn't want to blog. The blogging didn't turn out to be as bad as I thought but I still dread it from time to time. The topics we did in class weren't boring like something I thought would happen. They were books that have a lot of controversy and it brought the class in together in that sense. It was great to become friends with all my group members and have such a fun class with them.

    ReplyDelete